Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Stupid, stupid and more stupid, or…

Stupid, stupid and more stupid, or “Hey, Apple, wanna know what I want?”

I want dividers for icons. I want to have my hard drive window open, and have it divided into different groups.

Well, really, before we even get to that, I want your freakin’ OS to stop rearranging my icons at random for no apparent reason. I want that a lot.

I have my hard drive window arranged by function, do you hear me, function. Not alphabetically, by date, by size, by anything else, except how I use them. Revolutionary idea, I know. And for the last year or so, at unpredictable intervals, the window just rearranges itself, usually alphabetically. And before any smug, superior smartass suggests it: yes, I have both “arrange by” and “sort by” set to “None.” NONE, dammit!

For a while it got a little better, or at least a little easier to recover from that stupid, stupid bug (yeah, I’m going to charitably assume it’s a bug and not just that you think you know better than I do how I need it organized). I used different color tags for the different groups, so I could see at a glance how to undo your stupid rearrangement. So I could enlarge the window, move everything out of the way and just start re-sorting. But now, with “Mavericks” (and that is a godawful stupid name, BTW), the tags are little bitty dots beside the folder name. So it’s much harder to see it at a glance. Much harder to recover from your recurring bug. Mission accomplished, Apple!

Okay. Now, then. Anyway…I want to have dividers so that I can group files and folders by function and keep them separate. Right now it looks like this:

I want it to look like this:

Or this:

Or even this:

Can somebody tell me why this isn't possible?

(And stop rearranging my icons!)

No comments:

Post a Comment